Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Blog Assignment: How to find my dream job?

In this moment of my life, after my MBA, my biggest concern is to find a good job, a job that I can develop my career and learn with my colleges. In this situation, a social network analysis will help me to identify possible people that can help me to find this job.
Indeed, in my personal network there are people working in different markets and companies, so, my first step is to send a survey to as many people as I can with important questions to build my network analysis, one time I select the people I think will be easy to get the information. The questions are:
·      Which company do you work?
·      Which industry do you work?
·      How many years are you working in the same company?
·      Do you know if the company has opening positions in the finance area?
·      Do you know if the company has opening positions in the business development area?
·      Do you know if the company has opening positions in the strategy area?
·      When do you need to ask information about something related to your job, which is the person (the position) that you will ask?
My major interest is in the people that work in the Oil and Gas or Energy industry and are more than 3 years in the same company. Also, it is important to know if there are positions in any of these 3 areas and I can see the level of influence according with the people that these people ask for help.
After this step, I can relate all the people with similar answers and see that the person with more connections is the one that has more similarities with my interests.
Indeed, some measures are going to be important in this situation, the first one the degree, that means between all nodes the ones that relate with more people, but I will also see the people that is close to these important people, so the betweenness and the eigenvector measures will be take into consideration as well.

Therefore, after I calculate these measures I will select the people that can help me more and talk to them, send my CV and hopefully I will have interviews soon.

1 comment:

Christopher Tunnard said...

Everyone wants that job, right? There are a lot of SNA's out there on job-finding, inspired by "The Strength of Weak Ties" article. It's important to understand that what you have here is not really an SNA; it's a survey, with the SNA question we used for the class data grafted onto it. You should rethink this, as it's too generic a question to help you focus on job-hunting. For instance, in addition to how many people they have hired in the last few years. you might ask how many job interviews have they run? How often do they talk to candidates? Last (and probably best,)for recent hires, who were the people they talked to who helped them the most? And you can also use SNA measures more effectively by relating them to the situation, not just listing their definitions.