Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Blog assignment: How to use Social Networks to connect with my previous company colleagues and get a job in US


My obvious problem is now to find a job suitable to my experience and qualification. Since most of them get their jobs through referral, I want to connect with my previous company colleagues and find a suitable job. Since I worked in India and I am seeking job here in US my challenge will to find a job here in US through my previous company colleagues in India. SNA will help to contact the right person. I will ask my colleagues’ friends to help me with their friends’ contacts. I will connect with them to ask job specific details. I will ask them questions like
Are there jobs suitable to my skillset?
Are there any jobs which specifically require project management specialization?
If yes how many years of experience do they need?
What are there other conditions which need to be met?
If all the conditions match is he ready to refer me and connect me to HR for interview?

I hope anyone of them will respond positively about the job. If not I will ask them to contact their friends to look for the kind of job I am interested in. The data I need the most is list of my colleagues’ friend who work here in US and their friends’ friends who are also in US. Through my colleagues network I can get interview for the job specific to my skillset and qualification. I will use Node Centrality measures like Out-degree and In-degree of my colleagues to contact their friends in US. Measures like Betweenness will tell me how many people I traversed to find the right person. Also the key person who recruits is HR I can use Eigenvector to connect to them.
By Sharadh chandran Sethuraju.

1 comment:

Christopher Tunnard said...

It's important to understand that what you have here is not really an SNA; it's a survey. There's no network question, nothing that links the respondents. You can't use SNA mesures if there's no network to use them on.