Thursday, January 9, 2014

Procrastination and Multitasking

While I am in class, I wonder whether being on facebook and twitter at the same time will influence my acedemic performance. Actually, one of my new years' resolutions is to be LESS involved with multitasking (listening, taking notes, communicating on facebook, texting, emailing etc) during class and be present not only physically. I try to turn off my laptop, put away my phone (while continuously catching myself reaching into my bag to see whether theres a message....I think people know what I am talking about) while I am in class. However, for SNA it's really tempting to want to do exactly what I think is impairing with my goal to turn everything off, and yes, I am still listening to Prof. Tunnard right now.

So, I was interested whether there are any studies out there and I found one and here it is:
http://www.academia.edu/1810511/Negative_impact_of_social_networking_sites_on_academic_performance_of_students

It seems that the resulting procrastination deriving from dozing off via social networks has an overall impact on academic performance in the long run.

Take a look at it for yourself and enjoy!

Isabell (HHL M14)

1 comment:

Christine Zhang said...

Just a comment on multitasking... Studies show that women are more capable of or keen on multitasking than men. No offence to males though, I think it lies on our genes :-)