Saturday, January 11, 2014

Too much face and not enough books: The relationship between multiple indices of Facebook use and academic performance


How many have you not opened your Facebook today? Maybe we do too much face and not enough books?
http://reyjunco.com/wordpress/pdf/JuncoCHBFacebookGrades.pdf

I remember it was much easier to focus on my studies before I have joined the Facebook. Once I joined it, it was always open my laptop/handy/ipad or whatsoever and I had a look whenever I get bored or distracted. I am more than sure that it is most likely to be the case for many of students. However, this study revealed that "time spent on Facebook was strongly and significantly negatively related to overall GAP."

Even though there might be some positive aspects of using Facebook, I think the negative effects of those social networking websites overweigh the positive ones, especially for students. Most obviously, whenever students are studying or searching their course material online, they tend to get attracted to Facebook; thus, they lose their attention. In addition, this reduces real human contact, wastes students' time for not very valuable information or activities, and negatively affects on physical health.

According to the below study of the effects of social media on college students, researchers found 80% of participants in the study used social networks while working on homework, seeing a negative effect in efficiency and grades. Some students spent 6-8 hours per day on social media such as Facebook, while doing their homework.

http://scholarsarchive.jwu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1004&context=mba_student

Knowing all that, a lot of students still stick to Facebook while working.. I wonder if this addictive behavior could change ever.. I am off Facebook at least for the next 2 hours.

No comments: