Saturday, January 11, 2014

Social networks….but still aren’t we losing the meaning of the social?

I admit: I am not a big fan of social media. Don’t get me wrong: I’m checking my email every 30 min on my phone, reading the news every 2 hours or so, heavily surfing online, so I am not an old-fashioned-not-digitized kind of person. I would be dead without internet and even a two-day breakdown will drive me crazy. I just do not agree we should necessarily build a second life into the digital world.

We use technology to communicate all the time, and we think that we have many friends behind the (touch)screen, we get closer to some people but we do not interact physically with most of them, maybe can't even remember the voice or eye color for our closed ones.
Thinking of the implications, a question came up to me: what if your only way to contact the world for a longer period of time would be by internet? I found that question interesting, so I’ve started digging.

To my surprise, it was not at all original, and I found a quite interesting experiment: actually someone lived isolated (meaning no physical contact) from the real world for a full month, and I am not talking about astronauts but about a real woman who lived in a fishbowl apartment in Oregon. The experiment is far to be scientific, it's more about how much of your life you want to live/share behind glass walls.

Here is the link to the article...and tell us what you think!



PS: Don't you think we already have too many glass walls in the real world? why do we have to create more online?


No comments: